Mark and Christy came over to watch Maveric while Eric and I went to my 28 week doctors appointment August 12th. They did an ultrasound to measure growth of the baby and to measure my amniotic fluid levels. I was very curious to see pictures of Clarissa and to see if my fluids levels were high.
First we went into the ultrasound. As the nurse was starting the ultrasound she was immediately looking for the baby's head. She said she was having trouble finding it. I asked her "Now you know this baby has anencephaly, right?" She said " I did not know that, that explains a few concerns." She probably thought it was a routine ultrasound and didn't read my chart closely. So we carried on with the ultrasound. Eric and I asking lots of questions and making several comments regarding Clarissa. The nurse was very nice, and was actually the same lady that did our first ultrasound, when we found out about Clarissa's condition.
Well I must say that Clarissa looked very cute this time. Last time she didn't have a lot of fat to her, so her head looked very skeletal. But this time she had little chubby cheeks. I was thrilled! I have been praying for a little something that may be insignificant but important to me. I have been praying that although Clarissa will not have the top of her head, that her little face will be beautiful. I know she will be beautiful no matter what to me. But I wanted her face to be pure and pretty. So I was very happy to see her chubby cheeks, although she probably only weighs 1-2 pounds! She kicked around a lot, so we had to wait a few times for her to calm down so that we could measure her little body and measure her heart rate. 150 bpm perfect! She is growing according to how far along I am, give or take a few days. That was reassuring.
As for my amniotic fluid levels. They measure this in units of cm. The normal levels are between 12-22 cm. My levels are already at about 35cm. This explains the moments of feeling like I can't catch my breath, and just being real uncomfortable. Pregnancy is uncomfortable anyway but it has just seemed a different uncomfortable this time. The doctor asked about my breathing and I told him that I just have moments where I have to pause because I feel like I can't catch my breath. My belly was measuring at about 33 weeks rather than 28 weeks. We are not sure how fast the fluid will accumulate, we will just play it by ear. He thinks that my water could just spontaneously break, and if it doesn't we can just see how my comfort level is and my breathing is before we move on to other options. So we will see.
Some days I feel very immobile. My belly is feeling a lot bigger and looking that way. It feels very heavy at times. But Clarissa definitely has a very large swimming pool to move around in!
I love your new pictures up top! Thank you for letting us keep up with you on this difficult journey.
ReplyDeleteThanks Amanda for all your comments. We got these pictures done with the Now I lay me down to sleep foundation, where they have volunteer photographers to take pics for families like ours. We loved having belly pics done. She will come to the hospital too when Clarissa is born. It is just so awesome.
ReplyDeleteI have heard of them! What a wonderful gift to have!
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Amanda; the pictures are beautiful! You are gorgeous! Your whole little family is. Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep is the best. They're doing such great things.
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteThank you for journaling and sharing all the photos and stories. Your tummy pic with Clarissa’s little shoes is a beautiful picture. Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep Foundation is a wonderful foundation. There is a lot of family love in your beautiful stories and my eyes have watered a lot while reading them and seeing the photos. What a blessing it is to have Eric’s family close, I’m sure your parents ache to be closer. At your 28-week doctor’s appointment, was it a 3-D ultrasound that made it possible to see little Clarissa’s beautiful chubby cheeks? You picked out beautiful dresses for her and the blankets you are making with Eric’s mother look soo soft and huggy. Clarissa is very loved and I know her spirit feels it. Lots and lots of hugs and prayers.
Love,
Aunt Milley
Aunt milley,
ReplyDeleteYes Now I lay me down to sleep is a great foundation. Eric's family is close but my family lives where Eric's family is now. So we only have to drive 4 hours to see both families. It is great, not bad at all. It was nice because I was able to go dress and fabric shopping with my mom and Eric's mom. And as for the ultrasound, it was just a normal ultrasound, but we could see the difference where her cheeks were a little more filled out. I have thought of the 3D ultrasound, but we will probably wait to be surprised. Thank you for all your comments. I have been reading the book, and it is such a great story. I love you.
Rachel
Thank you so much for all of your entries. What an amazing family you guys are. We love you all very much and keep you in our prayers all the time. What a sweet baby Clarissa you have. Love, Andy, Krista and the kids
ReplyDeleteMy Dear Rachel, Eric and Maveric…
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry it has taken me so long to comment. My heart and prayers goes out to you and your family. Thank you so much for all the updates and pictures you have posted on this blog through this emotional and difficult time. I get emotional looking at the pictures and reading about this journey your family is going through, I cannot imagine having to go through it.
Your family pictures that were taken by the Now I Lay Me Down to sleep foundation are gorgeous. I have a friend who had this foundation take pictures of her, her husband, and their little baby who passed on soon after birth. That is a wonderful thing they do to capture precious moments that the family has together. Thank you for sharing your journey.
Love you cousin,
Kristiina
Thank you Kristiina. Its great to hear from all the family. We are grateful for all your prayers and I know they are lifting us up during this time.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Rachel
Dear Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI was thinking you lived closer to Eric’s family, I didn’t think that all you family was four hours away. I am sure both your and Eric’s family aches to be closer to you and yours especially at this time. I am really glad that you were able to do that special shopping with your and Eric’s mother. About the 3-D ultrasound, waiting to be surprised must be what you are inspired to do or else you would have already done it, keep listening to your heart. That is still wonderful that you got to see little Clarissa’s more filled out little cheeks. That is neat that you are reading and enjoying the book. Did you get to watch the DVD yet? My prayers are still for the same thing. I love you and your beautiful family.
Love,
Aunt Milley and Great Aunt Milley
Aunt Milley,
ReplyDeleteI was going to send a little message your way because I finally did watch the dvd yesterday. To tell you the truth I almost I had to get up the nerve to watch it, mostly because I have to prepare myself for my emotions that come and go:) But Eric and I watched it and thought it was so neat. Remind me who the lady was in the video. She sounded very knowledgeable about the medical field too. It was neat to hear the stories she told. We really enjoyed it. So thank you so much. It is nice to hear the faith of our friends and family and the faith in a miracle that you all have. I loved hearing your voice as well:) Thank you Aunt Milley.
Lots of love,
Rachel
Oh Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI am soo glad you finally got to watch the DVD. I should have prepared you that it was something very healing and inspiring. Jackie Haag is the lady in the video and she owns a small publishing company here in Colorado Springs. She is knowledgeable about the medical field and life, and yes, she does have wonderful stories. She is very Catholic and very wonderful and I love working with her, we talk of spiritual things all the time and she very much respects the LDS faith. I do contract work with her with my graphic arts and it is a blessing to be acquainted with her
I must share how the video came about. I always carry my ipod with me to work because sometimes I need the video camera to capture the creative direction that Jackie gives me. This one day, when I shared with Jackie the concern for little Clarissa, Jackie started sharing and I knew I was suppose to video it. As she began sharing I asked her to hold her story until I got my ipod video camera running, and that’s how it happened.
We all know that the Lord is in charge, we also know that faith in a miracle can help qualify a miracle.
Sending lots of love your way.
Love,
Aunt Milley & Great Aunt Milley